Memaloos Island in the Columbia River from the Historic Columbia River Highway. On October 29, 1805, Lewis and Clark called Memaloose Island Sepulchar Island. It was one of several islands commented on by Lewis and Clark as containing burial vaults for the Indian tribes that lived along the Columbia River. The name is derived from Memaloose Ilahee, Chinook jargon for land of the dead.
All images copyright © 2016 F.W. Vollmer and may not be used without permission.