The Puerco Indian Ruin, first inhabited in the 1100s and again in the 1300s, supported a small farming community of 60-75 inhabitants, in proximity to the then-flowing Puerco River. The 76 room pueblo, constructed of sandstone and adobe mortar, may have included two story buildings. The ruin was first excavated by John Muir in 1905 and 1906.
All images copyright © 2007 F.W. Vollmer and may not be used without permission.